Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Pomegranates and Persimmons

Persimmons, a Gift from my Neighbor

Like most true cooks, I love to cook and eat what is in season. I am still seeing some left over tomatoes and green beans in the farmer’s markets but the stalls are now filling with grapes, mushrooms, pomegranates and persimmons. I LOVE pomegranates and persimmon, mostly because they are only here for a short while.

Many things were that way in Barcelona. There were these absolutely delicious almond cookie, shaped and colored into a variety of styles that came in the fall and then by the Christmas season, they were gone. If I had only known, I would have bought dozens and thrown them into my freezer. Then there were all the unusual flavors of torrone they had during Christmas time that disappeared after the New Year.

I actually kind of like those traditions. Something to look forward to and cherish for a time. Now I am eating, cooking and doing everything I can with pomegranates and persimmons, especially fuyu persimmons. My neighbor across the street has a fuyu persimmon tree and they share their bounty with us. I share my cookies with them, it is a good trade!

Here is one of my favorite recipes for pomegranates and persimmons. I had this salad last night with herbed goat cheese stuffed chicken breasts with red pepper sauce, wild rice with onions, carrots and celery and baby yellow turnips.

Pomegranate and Fuyu Persimmon Salad with Toasted Pecans in a Orange-Honey Vinaigrette

Serves 8

Pomegranate, persimmons and oranges, just the thought of them on a brisk fall day gets me excited! I have been working on developing this salad for the past few falls and think I have finally perfected it. I tried it with candied pecans, which were too sweet. Tried it with cheese and that took away from the freshness of the fruit. Used various types of vinegars and oils and finally found the perfect one. I am excited for you to try my final version!

  • ½ cup fresh orange juice
  • ½ teaspoon curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup sherry vinegar
  • 2/3 cup almond oil
  • ¾ cup of pomegranate seeds
  • 1 large Fuyu persimmon cut in ½ inch dice
  • 7 cups torn butter lettuce, washed and dried well
  • 1 cup torn radichicco, washed and dried well
  • ¾ cup chopped pecans toasted in a 350 degree oven for 7 minutes

In a small saucepan, reduce the orange juice in half to two tablespoons. Place in a jar with a lid and add the curry powder, soy sauce, honey, salt, vinegar and oil; screw the lid on tightly and shake until emulsified.

Combine the pomegranate seeds and persimmon pieces and lightly dress with the dressing. In a large bowl, place the butter lettuce and radichicco and toss with enough dressing to coat the leaves (you may not need all the dressing). Top with the dressed fruit and pecans. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment